JOB TITLE: AT Production Welder
DEPARTMENT: Amarillo Tanks
REPORTS TO: AT Production Supervisor
A. Purpose and Scope:
This position is responsible for the proper, productive, and safe fitting and joining of tank and various components/parts together with select welding processes and procedures.
B. Essential Functions
- Operate equipment using safe work habits and based on safety standards.
- Examine work pieces for defects and to ensure conformance with specifications.
- Recognize, set up, and operate hand and power tools common to the welding trade, such as shielded metal arc and gas metal arc welding equipment.
- Work in a team environment.
C. Specific Tasks for Position
- Layout, position, align, and secure parts and assemblies prior to assembly/tacking and or welding using prescribed fixtures and proper work procedures.
- Operate manual or semi-automatic welding equipment to fuse metal segments, using MIG and
- Stick Welding processes, within the parameters outlined in work procedures.
- Monitor welding processes to avoid overheating of parts or warping, shrinking, distortion, or expansion of material.
- Detect faulty operation of equipment or defective materials and notify supervisors.
- Determine required equipment and welding methods via established work procedures and apply proper welding techniques.
- Mark or tag material with proper job number, piece marks, and other identifying marks as required.
- Position and secure workpieces, using hoists, cranes, forklift.
- Chip or grind off excess weld, slag, or spatter, using hand scrapers or power chippers, portable grinders, or arc-cutting equipment.
- Read and layout according to design drawings. Proficient using a tape measure.
- Other duties as assigned.
D. Job Requirements:
Education and Training: Candidate should have a basic welding aptitude. Prefer 2-year degree from Technical/Vocational School
Minimum of 1 year work experience required.
E. Work Environment
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The employee works near moving mechanical parts, welding areas, and other heavy machinery. The factory experiences significant swings in temperatures from cold to hot depending on time of year. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderately loud.
F. Physical Demands
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. While performing the duties of this position, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee frequently is required to use hands or fingers, handle or feel objects, tools, or controls. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; sit; and reach with hands and arms. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, carry a minimum of 50 lbs., push, and pull a minimum of 100 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by this position include close vision, distance vision, and the ability to adjust focus. The noise level in the work environment is usually low to moderate.
This job description in no way states or implies that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee(s) incumbent in this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job related instructions and to perform any other job-related duties requested by any person authorized to give instructions or assignments. All duties and responsibilities are essential functions and requirements and are subject to possible modification to reasonably accommodate individuals with disabilities. To perform this job successfully, the incumbents will possess the skills, aptitudes, and abilities to perform each duty proficiently. Some requirements may exclude individuals who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health or safety of themselves or others. The requirements listed in this document are the minimum levels of knowledge, skills, or abilities. This document does not create an employment contract, implied or otherwise, other than an “at will” relationship.